Cryptozoic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New player need some help

+2
Zee_n1
kooler92
6 posters

Go down

New player need some help Empty New player need some help

Post  kooler92 Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Me and a friend were looking to start playing against each other then eventually attend tournaments. If some one could just answer a few questions it would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

1.Is there a list of cards not tourney legal like magic has? I know in magic when a set gets a little old it becomes not usable any more.
2.What should me and my friend buy to start playing, starter wise and booster box etc. He got a good deal on a heros of azeroth, through the dark portal and fires of outland booster boxes. I noticed these are a little older though so would they even be usable any more?
3.Last question is what set should i begin buying, and is there any particular heroes that have an edge, or sites that help out with decks and etc.

Thanks a lot i know its a wall of text but it would be great to get some replies on this im really interested in it.

kooler92

Back to top Go down

New player need some help Empty Re: New player need some help

Post  Zee_n1 Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 pm

1. In classic, all cards are legal, there are no cards not tournament legal. However, core uses cards from the latest sets, which can be found Here. Classic is still the main way to play tournaments though.

2. The starter boxes are a great place to start, especially on the Drums of War starter, or Death Knight starter too. But yeah, you can use the older sets too, and there are still great cards in them.

3. No real heroes have an edge, but one of the best things to do is to proxy cards (use something in their place at the time, my friends and I print out paper versions of our cards) before you buy them. Then, once you feel like your deck is great, you can start looking for cards to fill it in.

Hope you enjoy the game, and we're always here to answer questions when you have them.
Zee_n1
Zee_n1

Back to top Go down

Post  kooler92 Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, just one more thing. Using these cards would i just be beaten easily? Are they outdated to the point where i wouldnt stand a chance against some of the newer sets?

kooler92

Back to top Go down

Post  Zee_n1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 am

Nope, plenty of decks still use older cards. If you are ever curious about what decks are making top in tournaments right now you can check out the Strategy and Decklists section.
Zee_n1
Zee_n1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kazamaru Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:15 am

kooler92 wrote:Thanks for the reply, just one more thing. Using these cards would i just be beaten easily? Are they outdated to the point where i wouldnt stand a chance against some of the newer sets?

Firstly, welcome to a great game! As for your question...using only the very first set ever printed(Heroes of Azeroth)...I could make a fun deck that is decently powerful. (basically Twig of the World Tree/Krol Blade + Heroic Strike + Rak Skyfury + Mortal Strike FTW! You also got things like Stronghold Gauntlets, Burn Away, and ally removal...and 2 Arcanite Reapers) So there are many awesome ways to go...I myself started technically playing about 9 months ago...but actually started playing after the release of Scourgewar(which was a few months ago)...and I made day 2 at NACC which was pretty cool...and I am glad I joined AFTER Core was announced...I personally prefer not having cards like Fizzle and Slow.(Which will be powerful classic cards forevermore)

Btw, if I were you...I would try to see if I could do some drafts...as that is cheap compared to buying booster boxes and it creates an even playing field.(where you don't need 150$[which is nothing compared to any other TCG] of cards to win...you just need 11$, lol)

Cheers!
Kazamaru
Kazamaru

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1302276701&ref=pr

Back to top Go down

Post  shadowwarl Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:13 pm

kooler92 wrote:Me and a friend were looking to start playing against each other then eventually attend tournaments. If some one could just answer a few questions it would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

1.Is there a list of cards not tourney legal like magic has? I know in magic when a set gets a little old it becomes not usable any more.
2.What should me and my friend buy to start playing, starter wise and booster box etc. He got a good deal on a heros of azeroth, through the dark portal and fires of outland booster boxes. I noticed these are a little older though so would they even be usable any more?
3.Last question is what set should i begin buying, and is there any particular heroes that have an edge, or sites that help out with decks and etc.

Thanks a lot i know its a wall of text but it would be great to get some replies on this im really interested in it.

For right now I would suggest 2 drums of war starter decks this will give you 2 of each of the following 30 card decks hunter and mage and by getting 2 you can customize the decks to 60 cards this will get you started.

Also you have the death knight starter deck which is another good starting point of you feel deathknight again you will need 2 of them to get all the base cards

In about 2-3 weeks you will be able to purchase class starter decks for each class.

As far as packs and boxes go I would say anything from the drums block up till now is good.

The only other suggestion would be the arena grand mele set which comes in 2 parts horde and alliance it gives you all your prep cards for the different classes as well as 2 heroes one alliance and one horde
shadowwarl
shadowwarl

Back to top Go down

Post  Maiku23 Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:19 am

Most playable cards are very easy to get, most being commons and uncommons. Try your local hobby shop and customize a deck of your own design against your friend.
Maiku23
Maiku23

Back to top Go down

Post  Radburn Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 am

So its possible to use cards from heroes of azeroth and from scourgewar in 1 deck? greetings from Holland

Radburn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down